Daniel Eboli´s "Sapiens Ludens"

Monday, November 2, 2009

Artist:the dead company

Artist: the dead company
Song: The Old Man Of The Sea
Genre: Experimental

Very experimental sound design here. Allthough It holds musical concepts and structure, the song is like an audiomontage where the sounds are there to create the ambience, the "tone".

At 1:49 enters a nice electronic drum pattern and soon the voice appears.

It is not sung, It is a talking voice declaiming this beatifull and strong poem.

The poem speaks about the sea, the way we f**k the wheather, in a sad and thruthfull way.

Musically is not extraordinary, but I think it reaches it´s goals.

At 5:00 intensity grows, it become more unconfortable (in a good way).

The song goes on and on , with 13 minutes i was hoping something diferent happends.

All elements used/conceived by the author can be exposed in, lets say, 2 minutes?

For my personal taste, 13 min is toooooo loooooooooong. I think something could happen.

Anyway, I dont dislike it, I just think it could be more apelative, maybe.

I like the overall sound, but the voice is a bit hard to understand to me (a non english native).

I think the author is correct about leaving the voice with a natural sound, without enhancing it too much.

Maybe a bit more volume in the voice could help the inteligibility of the poem.

Very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment